Friday, October 7, 2011

Devil's Golf Course, Death Valley

Several years ago, I decided to try my favorite technique of driving through winter storms to be on location when the rain stopped and the skies began to clear. I set up my tent in the campground and proceeded to wait for sunrise when the expected clearing would hopefully produce some great images.

It rained all night, and the next day, and the next three days and three nights after that. I was evacuated from two different campgrounds because of flash flood concerns and ended up pitching my tent between two RVs on a gravel pad. Seeing me soggy and depressed, one of my neighbors took pity on me and invited me in for a hot dinner and a movie on his satellite TV set. It was one of the most welcome moments of generosity I have ever received.


I would like to tell you that I was rewarded for my efforts with amazing light but the truth was I threw in the towel the next morning and headed for home. This image was taken a month later when I returned to "get that monkey off my back." This time the storm did clear, the clouds parted for a few minutes over Devil's Golf Course, and the sun shone through.

No comments: