Sunday, August 26, 2012

ALASKA !!



I'm back.....

During my 47 years of existence, I've managed to visit every state in the USA except one. That big block of land to the north has eluded my travels every year up until now. I've finally been to Alaska!!!

OK, it was a family vacation on a cruise and I only saw the extreme lower portion of the state but it was enough to wet my appetite. I am already planning a ferry-hopping adventure in a couple of years.

We arrived at the entrance to Tracy Arm fjord early in the morning and spent the next several hours slowly making our way through 30 miles of jaw-dropping beauty. The 6:00 AM arrival time helped keep the decks clear so it never seemed crowded. Each twist and turn of the waterway brought new views culminating directly in front of Sawyer Glacier. We passed this nondescript piece of ice midway through the passage. I didn't give it more than a passing glance at the time and it wasn't until I got home that it dawned on me how big this floating chunk was....

This image was taken from the 11th floor of a floating building.

Tracy Arm-Fords Terror Wilderness, Alaska

No comments: