Sunday, November 4, 2012

North Cascades

I have one minor complaint about the Cascades. The lower slopes of the western side can be....hmmmm...how should I describe it?.....somewhat claustrophobic. You can hike miles through the trees and never see more than the trail in front and behind you. Don't get me wrong...the misty forests have their own charm but if you are searching for views of the peaks, you need to get up high.

How far did I have to hike to arrive at this glacially smoothed wonderland of granite slabs? A body-crunching, mind-numbing, fatigue-inducing total of 100 feet from the car. Nature photography is not always glamorous and it requires an exhausting level of commitment that I'm not sure the average person understands. ;)

Evening light at Washington Pass, Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Washington.

No comments: