Thursday, September 15, 2011

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area

The Oregon Dunes on the coast of southern Oregon are the largest coastal sand dune complex in North America. Most of the dunes allow OHV use. While very popular and fun, the constant use of the dunes by vehicles does mesh well with landscape photography. However, there is one area that is hiker-access only. If you wander a little ways into the dunes, it is easy to find a trackless stretch of sand. The evening I was there, the onshore wind was relentless and I did not dare to get my camera as close to the ground as I would have liked to. Most of the images were taken at eye-level but the dramatic contrast between the clouds and evening light on the dunes made for some great shooting. As soon as the light started to fade, I left my camera gear in a protected area and slid down some of the nearby dunes. A sandbox is a sandbox after all....

No comments: